Reasons to Read Oscar Wilde Fairy Tales
- You've been feeling oddly happy lately, and you would like to feel sad instead, in a wistful way.
- You love lush, lyrical prose and meditations on the nature of love, beauty, ugliness, sin, and loss.
- Your recent reading has been devoid Orientalism and odd body-image issues, and you would really like to change that quickly.
- You would like to see young men's bodies described in fiction in a way that doesn't seem exactly sexual but isn't exactly not-sexual either.
- You would like a story where someone sacrifices everything and then dies a lonely death, their only consolation the fact that they're a better person than they were before, in that long ago time when they were selfish, self-centered, happy, and not-dead.
The full collection doesn't seem to be on Gutenberg, but you can sample the style and subject matter: The Happy Prince and Other Tales by Oscar Wilde. Or get the whole package from a library: The Poems and Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde.